Facilitating the export of coal, titanium, heavy minerals, ferrochrome, granite, aluminium, to various countries, the port’s sea transportation has key importance in commercial activities. Richards Bay thereby is known as the country’s biggest harbour as well as exporting and importing hub.
The Port of Richards Bay covers a large space comprising of dry Bulk Terminal, a Multi-purpose Terminal and a privately-operated Coal Terminal. The port also has container terminals that can handle 350 metres long vessels and 82.7 million tonnes of cargo.
The Port of Richards Bay was first used for sea-borne trade during the Anglo-Zulu war of 1879 by Commodore of the Cape, Sir Frederick Richards. In 1965, The South African Government decided to build a deep sea harbour at Richards Bay with all the necessary logistics to support the ships and finally on April 1, 1976, the new harbour was opened.
Containing 21 berths which specialise in handling dry bulk and general cargo, the port has diversified its activities. The Port of Richards Bay also offers rail and conveyor belt systems to facilitate the movement of goods to nearby plants and factories thus paving a path for a better future.