Commonly Used Terms
Agile manufacturing is a modern approach to respond to changing customer’s needs and market demand in time. It is an approach that makes the manufacturing process more flexible. With Agile manufacturing in place, your organization would be able to cater to the market demand in a very short span, without compromising on the quality. Consumers appreciate the speed with which you tackle the market demands.
For a better understanding of the word Agile manufacturing, let’s understand the term “agile.” Merriam-Webster defines “agile” as “having a quick resourceful and adaptable character,” which sums up the term almost accurately.
Being connected, responsive, and prompt, you get the ability to be competitive.
Why do you need Agile Manufacturing in your business?
Although there are several reasons to implement an agile manufacturing plan, we will provide two of the most necessary ones.
- For example, technological advancements in industrial automation, and product traceability, impacts how consumers order and pay, and how products are designed and manufactured.
- Unforeseen technological advancements have forced manufacturers to transform their product and production methods, which have incurred them a huge loss. Thus, Operational agility is now central to achieving competitive advantage/edge.
- Market volatility
- Fluctuating product demand, labor costs, supply chain, and unseen financial crisis or economy dips have the ability to render companies bankrupt. To prepare against these unforeseen events, production must be able to respond to the situation in the most efficient and cost-effective way.
Difference between Agile Manufacturing and Lean Manufacturing
Some people assume that agile manufacturing and lean manufacturing are the same concepts. While similar, agile manufacturing can best be described as a step in the process of lean manufacturing.
Wikipedia explains by saying the difference between them is the equivalent of a “thin person and an athletic person.”
Manufacturing companies in competitive markets use agile processes to differentiate themselves and achieve a higher level of customer satisfaction. But, Agile is not restricted to the manufacturing process; it is also highly used in software development.
Average Payment Period (for materials)
Average Cost per Unit
Available to Sell (ATS)
Available to Promise (ATP)
Automated Storage-Retrieval System (AS-RS)
Automated Manifest System (AMS)
Automated Guiding Vehicle System (AGVS)
Automated Commercial Environment (ACE)
Automated Clearing House (ACH)
Automated Call Distribution
Automated Broker Interface (ABI)
Association of American Railroads
Approved Vendor List (AVL)
Any Quantity Rate (AQ)
Anticipated Delay Report
American Waterways Operators
American Trucking Association (ATA)
American Standard Code for Information Interchange
American Society of Transportation & Logistics
American Society for Training and Development (ASTD)
American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
American Society for Quality (ASQ)
American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI)
All Cargo Carrier
Airport and Airway Trust Fund
Airline Terminal Fee (ATF)
Air Transport Association of America
Air Cargo Containers
Aggregate Tender Rate
Aggregate Inventory Management
After Sale Service
Advanced Shipping Notice
Advanced Planning and Scheduling (APS)
Advance Material Request
Actual to Theoretical Cycle Time
Actual Cost System
Activity Network Diagram
Activity Based Planning (ABP)
Activity Based Management (ABM)
Activity Based Costing System
Activity Based Costing Model
Activity Based Costing (ABC)
Activity Based Budgeting (ABB)
Avoiding Short Landed Shipments: Essential Tips
More From Cogoport
Schedule a personalized 1:1
Step into the future of freight forwarding with Cogoport. Experience a demo tailored to revolutionize your logistics, offering:
- Innovative Solutions: Peek into cutting-edge features redefining freight management.
- Expert Guidance: Direct insights from our seasoned pros, tailored to your business needs.
- Real Answers: Interactive session to address your unique challenges.